Smashwords Sale!

Don't forget to check out the Smaswords sale page! I've listed some cool authors.
Sale runs from 1-31 of July!


Cheap and free ebooks!

Smashwords Summer/Winter Promotion 2013. 1-31 of July!


Saturday, 6 July 2013

[Fantasy]Boreal and John Grey (Complete Season 1) - Chrystalla Thoma

I've read a book from a different series by this same author in the past, and was looking forward to reading this series. I got offered the chance of a free copy of the whole first season of this series (of 5 episodes) in exchange for an honest review. Well, I can't say anything but good things about it, I LOVED this season!


Blurb (From Goodreads)
Dangerous Shades, magical portals, sexy elves and a spunky heroine. Welcome to Ella's world.

This is the complete First Season of the series Boreal and John Grey, books 1-5 (The Encounter, The Gate, The Dragon, The Dream and The Truth.

Centuries ago, they nearly conquered humankind. But their Gate to our world closed, leaving them out. Now the elves have found a way back.

Ella Benson, agent of the Paranormal Bureau, fights the Shades when they cross into our world, keeping everyone safe. But increasingly dangerous creatures are slipping into her city, her work partner has just gone missing, and a mysterious – and, quite frankly, hot — guy saves her life. His name is Finn and, as it turns out, he’s a natural when it comes to fighting the Shades.
When the Gates between the worlds start opening and the elves make a comeback, Ella needs a new, temporary partner. Enlisting the mysterious Finn is a no-brainer, until she realizes he is guarding dangerous secrets of his own.
Together with Finn, and the fate of the world on her shoulders, what’s Ella to do but grab her weapons and figure it all out, one way or another.

My rating: 5 stars


Where to start for this book.

First things first:
- Kick ass female character
- who is real and believable (and who doesn’t get raped)
- super hot and sexy elf
- who also is a great fighter
- and who actually has flaws that are realistic
- great plot

It’s hard to come up with something that I didn’t like about this story, maybe the ending... With which I mean, the fact that it ended.
I loved Ella, she was real, she kicked ass and wasn’t without flaws, of which one is that he has a wandering mind, which I didn’t mind at all. She was a female character that I’ve been missing lately. I can relate to her on a level that made me gasp out at times for things that happened and sometimes almost made me cry.
I also loved Finn. He is sexy, grumpy, silent and sexy. He is there to save Ella a couple of times but he also needs rescuing, and not just of the emotional type (I’ve seen that happen too often). Finn is flawed in so many ways that it’s hard to not want to care for him but at the same time, you know he would kick your ass if you’d show that to him openly.

I loved how Thoma combined Norse myths with her own ideas and the end product is a strong combination of myth and fantasy realism that works really well.



What I thought as an aware reader.


This series lacked flaws that I've encountered in so many books with "strong" female characters. Ella is REAL, she knows what she wants and she is strong, both mentally and physically.
Finn is her superior in power, though that never stops Ella from doing anything (though she is considerate). At the same time Finn never abuses his strength or anything like that, he is an honest and good male character (something I sadly enough haven't seen a lot lately).
The two characters are a great match, they work well against each other, but they also work well together against the world. There is no obvious advantage or disadvantage within the story.
It was great to read something this strong.


Buy links:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk:

Read on!

Kia